Prohibition of binaries

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu Chad-jm at Hower.org
Mon Dec 10 02:54:03 EST 2007

But just to be clear,end users (ie children) can also download and run new non original binaries if they so choose?
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Michael Burns
  To: Chris Ball
  Cc: Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu ; devel at laptop.org
  Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 5:48 AM
  Subject: Re: Prohibition of binaries

  To elaborate.. :)

  On Dec 8, 2007 11:57 PM, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:

    Hi,

      > Someone mentioned that there will be (or already is?) a prohibition
      > on loading any binaries

  This is (I assume) some ill-informed hand-waving about Bitfrost, the security specification. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Bitfrost

  We use binaries all the time. our web browser uses the gecko rendering engine from Firefox and Mozilla.

    and that all custom content must be Python

  Most custom content, when possible, is written in Python. This is a technical choice, as well as consistency choice. Children that want to contribute need to learn only 1 language (and an excellent learning language we have in Python). Most activities and Sugar, the interface of the OLPC, is written in python, for instance.

  --
  Michael Burns * Student
  Open Source {Education} Lab