joyride, ship.1 etc.

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Thu Dec 6 21:11:10 EST 2007

Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Rafael Enrique Ortiz Guerrero wrote:
>

>> Hi all
>>
>> i've put some notes in here..
>>
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Stable_Upgrade
>>

> Thanks for writing it up!
>
> I just tried it with a "USB memory key" (an SD card in a multi-card
> reader), and my XO said this:
>
>  	Trying disk:\fs.zip
>  	Trying sd:\fs.zip
>  	Trying fastnand:\fs.zip
>  	Trying nand:\fs.zip

The firmware didn't see the file on your "USB memory key".

There is a common problem with multi-card readers.  Each slot appears as
a different "SCSI Logical Unit Number".  OFW does not do a "deep probe"
to determine exactly which slots are currently populated at any given
instant (because doing so would slow down booting for the vast majority
of cases where there is no choice).  Consequently, when OFW tries to
resolve the "disk" devalias, it doesn't know which LUN to use.  It
guesses 0, which has only a 1 in N chance of being right.

There are two possible workarounds:

1) Put the SD card directly into the XO's SD slot (below the screen; you
have to rotate the display 90 degrees to get to it) and then do the
4-keys procedure

2) Assuming that you can get to the ok prompt (i.e. your system is not
in secure mode), there is a manual workaround:

   ok  " usb1/disk at 3"  fs-update-from-list

Notes:
  a) There must be one space after the first "  (i.e. between " and u),
and one or more spaces after the second "
  b) Depending on your multi-reader, you might need to use "usb2"
instead of "usb1".  You can find out by typing "probe-usb" and noting
which list shows your device.
  c) The "@3" is just an example - you will need to search manually for
the number that corresponds to the SD slot in your multi-reader.  The
arrow keys can save you some typing during this search.

> [Screen clears]
>
>  	Trying nand:\security\develop.sig
>  	Trying nand:\boot-alt\bootfw.zip
>  	  FW found - current FW is up-to-date
>  	Trying nand:\security\lease.sig
>  	Trying nand:\boot-alt\actos.zip
>  	  OS found - No signature for our key
>  	Boot failed
>  	Stopping
>
> I see these fairly-large icons at the bottom of the screen:
>
>  	USB key
>  	SD card
>  	XO
>  	XO with four tiny icons: a circle, a plus sign, a circle, and a lock
>  	Frowny face

The fact there there were no tiny circles underneath the "USB key" icon
confirms that OFW is not seeing a USB disk device, per the above
discussion.  As further evidence, had OFW found a disk with a filesystem
on it, it would have said "Trying disk:\security\develop.sig" etc.

> Then after a few seconds (five maybe?) the XO powers down.  I can boot
> normally back into the old system I had installed just fine.  I'm running
> firmware Q2D02 on it.
>
> I'm also quite confused about why it refers to my "USB key" as nand in the
> above printouts.

It is not referring to your USB key as NAND - it is just not seeing
enough of a filesystem on the "disk" device to proceed with looking for
specific files there.  That is probably a result of the multi-reader LUN
issue.