Reminder: string freeze for activities tomorrow, December 7...

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Thu Dec 6 16:02:45 EST 2007

According to the Roadmap schedule http://dev.laptop.org/roadmap.

Now that we have the translation infrastructure, it has become very
important to coordinate software development with the (rapidly growing)
community of translators.

You can find them at https://dev.laptop.org/translate/

What does this mean to you?

If you have child facing software (activities, sugar, etc), your
software will need to be localized for many languages and cultures.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Localization

For translators to do their work, the strings to be translated can't be
changing every minute, or by the time we put a release together, you
will obsolete their work.

So tomorrow (Friday, December 7) is string freeze day!  Please ensure
that an up to date version of your components are in joyride, and that
you've asked for them to go into the update.1 builds that Dennis will
start making tomorrow.  It is this version/build the translators will
work from.

Please make the request for your activity to go into update.1 according
to the process http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Update.1_process

There will be a further point in which we'd like the activities updated
(on 12/19) to pick up work of the translators, but they can't work on
quicksand.

Any changes you make to strings after tomorrow should be for really good
reasons, and please inform the localization mailing list of any changes,
and there had better be really good reasons for any changes.

Thank you very much.
                                           - Jim Gettys

--
Jim Gettys