Status of Develop.activity?

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 00:58:02 EST 2007

On Dec 6, 2007 12:29 AM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Dec 5, 2007 10:15 PM, Albert Cahalan <acahalan at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Finally we have the problem of NO systems programming language
>> being supplied. It's less than 9 MB for the whole C development
>> environment, including a decent collection of *-devel packages.
>> You even get a second language thrown in for free, x86 assembly.
>> Pretty much everything that matters is written in C, including
>> the Python interpreter.
>
> I'd be very interested in hearing details of your 'whole C development
> environment'.  By my casual inspection, 'rpm -qi gcc' says that gcc
> alone is over 10MB, and that *doesn't* include any of the *-devel
> packages needed to make it actually useful.

I'm going by what the "yum" command spits out when I
actually do the install. (if that is compressed, well, so is
the filesystem)

I got:

gcc            5.2 M
glibc-devel    2.0 M
glibc-headers  608 k
kernel-headers 645 k

Random libraries come cheap:

libpng-devel   105 k
zlib-devel      81 k
libpaper-devel 7.6 k
libpaper        35 k

It only gets bad when the RPM is defective, as is
rather common. Getting X11 headers will drag in libGL.