OpenFirmware password

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Wed Dec 5 18:09:03 EST 2007

ffm wrote:
> I am not completely sure how to set it for the XO-1. I have followed
> instructions for other implementations of OpenFirmware, but without
> success.

Password security is not enabled in the XO version of OFW.  Most of the
deployed systems will be in secure mode, in which you can't access the
firmware prompt without a developer key.

In general, I have  chosen not to implement persistent configuration
variable storage for the XO OFW.  One reason is to make the system
simpler/more foolproof.  Another reason is because the XO doesn't have a
good place to store such information.