Fake mesh over IP.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Wed Dec 5 11:06:26 EST 2007

Morgan Collett wrote:
> Yes, the presence service operates either over the mesh, or via a Jabber
> server if you have Internet access. However due to scalability issues,
> the G1G1 software is not configured with a real jabber server by
> default. There is no way we could handle the 100,000 G1G1 laptops trying
> to connect to the current infrastructure.
>
> We are working on server scalability issues for Update.1, at which time
> there will be a new software release and hopefully a usable server.
>
> I do NOT recommend anybody advising G1G1 users to connect to the current
> developer jabber servers, as that will ensure that those servers become
> unusable for the development community.

Some G1G1 users are going to be sophisticated enough to search the web,
find a server URL on the wiki and attempt to collaborate using it. :) I
think the "real answer" is to find a corporate entity who will view this
as a marketing opportunity and provide the infrastructure, much like
T-Mobile have done with a year of free wireless connectivity.

Speaking of such "sophisticated G1G1 users", I've built VMware images of
ship2, and I can do so for Joyride as well. Is there a place where I
could post such images for people who are waiting for their G1G1
hardware, so they can experiment with the interface?