Unable to update my machine

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Fri Aug 31 01:18:57 EDT 2007

The problem is ostensibly fixed in a new version of firmware that will
be released in the next couple of days.

The problem is actually a little more complicated than having a
partition table or not.  There was a situation where a disk could appear
to both have a partition table, and also have a FAT file system starting
in the first sector.  The way that can happen is if you use mkdosfs on
the raw disk (sda), and then change your mind and use fdisk to partition
it and then do mkdosfs again on sda1.  fdisk does not automatically
erase the BIOS parameter block (the FAT equivalent of a super block) in
the partition sector, so you end up with an ambiguous situation where
the first sector looks like an unpartitioned FAT volume and also a
partitioned volume at the same time.

I tried to correct that problem, but in the process I managed to break
the case where there is an unpartitioned FAT volume that has the
extended form of BIOS parameter block.

I think I have now fixed that breakage...  At least I hope so.

fdisk + mkdosfs is a mistake-prone combination.