Questions on LinuxBIOS and OpenFirmware

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at
Fri Aug 24 10:48:50 EDT 2007

On 24/08/07 10:38 -0400, Chris Ball wrote:
> Hi,
>    > On Aug 24, 2007, at 7:25 AM, Kein Yuan wrote:
>    >> So in short words, OLPC is using LinuxBIOS to do low level HW
>    >> init, then transfer control to OFW, which also acting as boot
>    >> loader to load Linux OS, right?
>    > Correct.
> Actually, I think Mitch replaced the LinuxBIOS init code with his own
> OFW init about six months ago -- Ivan described the situation before
> that.  So, we're using pure OFW.

Yep.  B3 and newer is using OFW from top to bottom [1].

[1] Well, actually, the low level stuff is in assembly, which I think the
OFW purists will claim isn't actually OFW, but it all comes together in the
same package, and Mitch owns it all, so to us, its OFW.

Jordan Crouse
Systems Software Development Engineer
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.