Questions on LinuxBIOS and OpenFirmware

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Fri Aug 24 10:48:50 EDT 2007

On 24/08/07 10:38 -0400, Chris Ball wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    > On Aug 24, 2007, at 7:25 AM, Kein Yuan wrote:
>    >> So in short words, OLPC is using LinuxBIOS to do low level HW
>    >> init, then transfer control to OFW, which also acting as boot
>    >> loader to load Linux OS, right?
>
>    > Correct.
>
> Actually, I think Mitch replaced the LinuxBIOS init code with his own
> OFW init about six months ago -- Ivan described the situation before
> that.  So, we're using pure OFW.

Yep.  B3 and newer is using OFW from top to bottom [1].

Jordan

[1] Well, actually, the low level stuff is in assembly, which I think the
OFW purists will claim isn't actually OFW, but it all comes together in the
same package, and Mitch owns it all, so to us, its OFW.

--
Jordan Crouse
Systems Software Development Engineer