Anti-theft traceback on booting 553

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at vrplumber.com
Thu Aug 23 01:30:33 EDT 2007

Trying to boot build 553 in a VirtualBox environment (testing fix in
[1]), I see a failure in the activation code (I'm copying this manually):

    /antitheft.py, line 17, in run
    from initutil import activate_fail
    ImportError: cannot import name activate_fail

which suggests that even if I fix the error it's just going to fail
anyway, it's just not telling me nicely.

Any suggestions on how to get past this point while running on a virtual
machine?  I've tried mapping a USB key into the VirtualBox client with a
build 553 upgrade/install image, but it didn't do the activation,
producing the same traceback.

Almost there, he thinks,
Mike

[1] http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/917