accessibilities first tests - many questions

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Mon Aug 20 10:27:21 EDT 2007

On 19/08/07 21:20 -0400, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> Guylhem Aznar writes:
> > On 8/18/07, Jordan Crouse <jordan.crouse at amd.com> wrote:
>
> >> We didn't enable this ability in the sysfs/ interface.  I have
> >> never been too clear on what the actual practical uses are for
> >> something like this, so the control never got added.
> > It's just an experiment - I would like to have data proving users
> > actually prefer using the display when the algorithm is enabled.
>
> I wrote a patch to provide the functionality. Here you go:
> http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2007-March/004287.html
>
> It'd be great if this could be included. Better yet would be
> to allow specifying the raw register value, of course with
> an -EINVAL if bits unrelated to swizzle and backlight are set.

Again - can I ask why?  The sysfs/ interface exists to provide the
right interface to the applications and the user to accomplish what
they want to do.  If you have a good reason for exposing this
functionality, then I'm all ears, but I think that "just for giggles"
doesn't quite cut it.

If you want to write directly on the device for testing purposes, then
the i2c-tools work great - you can bang on the registers all day.

Jordan