Power manager specification... (request for comments).

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Wed Aug 15 16:01:47 EDT 2007

Fpr general comment and discussion, the following is a list of things
cjb and I think should happen.  What are we missing?  Other opinions?

Actions that OHM should do:

o On momentary power button:
  turn off screen, suspend machine, leave keyboard and wireless on;
keyboard/touchpad will cause instant on again.
o On lid close on battery, should turn off keyboard, turn off screen
  Then should suspend to RAM, including disabling and
  powering down wireless
o on lid close, on power, leave the machine on and running.
o On lid open, turn on keyboard, reset keyboard, resume from suspend,
turn wireless back on, tell NM to reassociate (maybe only after some
delay), try previous association first, of course...
o On ebook mode, should turn off keyboard
o On lid open, should reset keyboard
o on ebook to non-ebook mode, should reset keyboard
o on external power supply on *or* off, should reset touchpad
o rotate should probably be done by OHM.

When we are suspended, and the battery wakes us up because it is "low",
then:
	For now, graceful shutdown after journal has been notified
	May do hibernation if enough flash is available.

Task: Tune the default DPMS parameters.

Reset keyboard instructions are in trac.

The big question is: how to do idle?
	X DPMS extension? X SS extension? cpuidle kernel patch, about to go
mainline in Linux, with module to tell ohm the system has been idle?
other ideas?

--
Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child