Draft manifest format specification.

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Tue Aug 14 23:23:28 EDT 2007

Albert Cahalan wrote:

> For linking
> within a bundle, the easy answer is to STOP USING ZIP. At least
> allow a standard Linux archiver (tar, cpio, or pax) as an alternative
> to that crufty old DOS archiver.

zip is younger than either tar or cpio, so "old" is an invalid
criticism.  And I reject the assertion that, just because it came from
the DOS world, therefore it must be crufty.  That is just us-vs-them
prejudice.

Personally, I think that the zip archive format is quite well designed.
Granted, it doesn't support all the detailed semantics of Unix
filesystems, but it does a very good job of representing a
tree-structured hierarchy of files.