XO Backup to server

Juliano Bittencourt juliano at lec.ufrgs.br
Mon Apr 30 23:28:38 EDT 2007

    Hi guys,

    My name is Juliano Bittencourt and I work in one of the XO trials in
Brazil. We have 100 laptops here in Porto Alegre being used by two 4th
grades and two 6th grades. One of the main problems we have is related
to keep the laptops SO updated since they already have user data. Jim
Gettys was here during the FISL congress and suggested us to use rsync
as a way to easily do the backup of the laptops into a server.
     We followed his tip and created two small shell scripts to do the
backup/restore job as a temporary solution. We created a customized
image of the system using the save-nand OFW command witch includes these
scripts.  We configured the backup script at runlevels 0 and 6, so each
laptop keeps synced with the server. This is also helping us to see what
kind of productions the kids are doing. Since we are conducting a formal
research during the trials, being able to see what kind of documents
kids are writing is very important.
     To create a directory in the server for each laptop we used the MAC
address of  eth0.
      If anyone has any suggestion to make our scripts work better,
please fell free to send patches.

      Best,

       Juliano