[Trac #1309] kids learning to read like labels, but there are few

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 14:26:55 EDT 2007

On 4/8/07, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> Well, Albert still got a point here. How about having a virtual
> laptop? Something with a lot of labels and explanations that you can
> take apart (and reassemble with just a button click)?
>
> - Bert -

Actually, I would like to see us go much farther with that idea. I
have a copy of the Facts on File Visual Dictionary, which consists
almost entirely of more than 3000 labelled drawings of common or
otherwise familiar objects, from shoes to galaxies, with more than
25,000 captions. If we could get permission to make editions for the
languages of developing countries, using the same basic techniques as
Free Software localization, we would be able to provide an amazing
resource for language learners. I have often lamented that I did not
have such a dictionary for languages I was studying. As far as I know,
the Canadian authors only did French, English, and Spanish. I wonder
whether we could talk to them about a Creative Commons-Developing
Countries license for an electronic version? Or whether we can
interest the Wikipedia people?