Startup problems

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Apr 26 05:20:45 EDT 2007

> Trying to test the auto reinstallation image process. I have a number
> of USB disks and flash drives. I followed the instructions and had the
> boot image extracted from the zip onto the device in a primary
> partition. However, it won't boot from the USB device but reports
> "Can't open the disk label package" and goes on to boot from the
> internal image. I tried to interupt the countdown, probed for USB2
> devices and it finds the disk/flash drive and it shows as an scsi
> device.

I had similar problems.  I don't remember the details.  They should be in the
archives, but I didn't find them with a quick search.

I think the problem was that I formatted the flash disk like a normal disk
with a partition.

Here is my current setup that works.  This is with a 1GB stick.

>From fdisk p command:
Disk /dev/sdd1: 998 MB, 998793216 bytes
31 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1014 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1922 * 512 = 984064 bytes

from /etc/fstab:
/dev/sdd1               /mnt/flash/             auto    rw,noauto,user  0 0

[murray at shuksan ~]$ mount /mnt/flash/
[murray at shuksan ~]$ ll !$
ll /mnt/flash/
total 308
-rwxr-xr-x 1 murray murray 308920 Jan  3 13:49 bzimage
drwxr-xr-x 2 murray murray   4096 Apr  7 19:04 boot
[murray at shuksan ~]$ ll /mnt/flash/boot/
total 264708
-rwxr-xr-x 1 murray murray   1048576 Apr  3 11:09 q2b87.rom
-rwxr-xr-x 1 murray murray 270008320 Apr  6 21:28 nand385.img
-rwxr-xr-x 1 murray murray      1902 Apr  6 21:38 olpc.fth
[murray at shuksan ~]$