[Server-devel] MPP port selection

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Tue Apr 10 08:41:43 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Thursday 05 April 2007 20:57, John Watlington wrote:
> I am suggesting that we change from port 953 (rndc) to port 16,
> currently unassigned.
>
> The open question is whether we should proceed with IANA registration
> for this
> service.  How long is the MPP service going to be needed ?
> It is likely that we would have to change ports again after
> registration, unless they give
> us 16...

I don't think it's likely that they'll give out such low numbers. So wouldnt
it be better to register a higher number in the first place? 716, 816 and 916
are unassigned, 716 at the beginning of an unassigned block of ports...

(Please correct me if I wrongly understood MPPs as Mesh Portal
(http://wiki.laptop.org/index.php?title=Mesh_Network_Details#Mesh_Portals) -
I would expect those to be needed forever ;)

regards,
	Holger