WM suport for grab key scrolling

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Apr 20 13:38:14 EDT 2007

On Apr 20, 2007, at 19:22 , Eben Eliason wrote:

> The more I consider it, though, I think a cursor change is probably
> the right thing to do anyway.  Highlighting the scrollbar is good, but
> actually modifying the cursor really links the two logically.  Perhaps
> we should use the "fleur" cursor when the view can scroll both
> directions, and the "left-right" or "up/down" (whatever the correct
> name is for those) cursors when the region scrolls only in one axis.
> Perhaps better, we can duplicate the grab key graphic, smaller and
> superimposed over the aforementioned icons.

This sounds good.

> This gives visual feedback that links the key to the cursor position.
> It also let's you know (in addition to the highlighting) that a scroll
> region accepts grab scrolling (since the cursor shouldn't change
> unless it's in a region that supports it).  It also provides
> additional information about the directions you can scroll.  These are
> all good things.

Well, I think the cursor should always change when you press the grab
key, even if you can't actually scroll. Perhaps a no-symbol with the
grab key graphic? Also, for legacy apps you cannot infer what they
will do with scroll events, so you would have to have a "generic" non-
directional drag cursor, too.

> We can still argue about the grab-lock mode independently of this.  I
> won't cry if it doesn't get in.  I think I'd like it personally, but
> it would really come down to user testing with kids in my opinion.

True.

In Etoys, for example, you can move objects either by press-drag-
release, or click-drag-click. I think this behavior was implemented
after user feed back. It's a bit different from the grab key in that
it is obvious how to get out of an accidental drag mode.

- Bert -