WM suport for grab key scrolling

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Apr 20 12:27:48 EDT 2007

On Apr 20, 2007, at 18:07 , Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:

>>> Hmm I'm not convinced about this. Usually keyboard actions apply
>>> either
>>> globally (to the system or to the active window) or to the focused
>>> element. I feel pretty strange, interaction wise, to have a keyboard
>>> button depend on the position of the mouse.
>>
>> The grab key isn't so much a keyboard action as it is a modifier key
>> for the trackpad/mouse.  This is very much like the behavior of a
>> scroll-wheel mouse (or Apple's two-finger scrolling), which always
>> scrolls the view beneath the cursor.
>
> Well, yeah, but the fact that's physically part of the the keyboard
> doesn't really suggest it's a mouse modifier. And the fact that we
> have
> a scrolling mode (press/release) doesn't suggest it either.

Who actually thinks this is a good idea? I'd much rather require
holding the grab key. There will be numerous kids trying to move the
pointer while nothing happens.

> Btw what are the advantages of a scrolling mode/modifier over Apple's
> two-finger?

I guess the pad is cheaper? Two-finger scroll needs a special pad.

>> Requiring focus in the region won't work that well for several
>> reasons.  First, it could require a click to set focus.
>> Additionally,
>> it might be the case that every portion of the scrollable region is
>> clickable (eg. a long list where each row is clickable/
>> selectable), in
>> which case the click intended to focus the region would actually have
>> an immediate unintended action.
>>

> I was thinking to use keyboard focus only in the case of multiple
> views.
> That's not optimal either admittedly.

Apparently only half of this communication makes it to the devel
list ...

But why would you need keyboard focus for a mouse modifier key?

- Bert -