openGL

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at vrplumber.com
Wed Apr 18 00:58:52 EDT 2007

Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 17:09 -0300, Alexandre Martinazzo wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a way to install openGL in a XO? Install libmesa did not work
>> with us.
>>

> You really.  Really.  Really.  Do not want to run anything resembling
> OpenGL on this hardware.  It will be painfully slow and it'll murder
> your battery life.

Maybe I'm missing something, but *why* would OpenGL (the library) be
particularly likely to perform horribly?  OpenGL is a fairly efficient
mechanism for describing certain types of smooth, elegantly coded
transformations AFAICS.  The processor has 3DNow and SSE extensions,
which can be compiled in to help accelerate MESA's matrix transformation
operations if I understand correctly.  I'm not saying we would try to
write a latest-and-greatest first-person-shooter, but the library itself
is reasonably efficient at what it does.

Is it that the memory bandwidth to the video is horribly slow making the
fill-rate horrific?  Or just a general bus bandwidth issue?  I know that
MPEG4 at reasonably high resolutions can be used on the platform
reasonably well, and that's got to be some reasonably intensive for the
CPU to Video Card transfer data-rate.  Or is there some other technical
limitation in the LX700 hardware that prevents it from being able to
handle the load?

Even just a reference somewhere describing why the LX can't handle it
would be useful.  I understand that the GX would be extremely painful,
but I thought the LX was considerably more capable...

Have fun,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder