Teleconference information for software status meeting (today, 21:00 EDT Boston)

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Tue Apr 17 22:21:51 EDT 2007

>> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 15:50:46 -0400, Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org> said:

   > OLPC software teleconference.  Note also the action item list
   > below.

Present: Andres, Jim, Ronak, cjb, Mitch Bradley, Richard Smith, Jordan,
         John Watlington.

New action items:

* AI:  Richard/Mitch to investigate SD resume if they get time.
* AI:  Get Richard Hughes more involved with power management
       conversations, userspace/policy decisions.
* AI:  Andres to note C-series firmware depends on build386 or higher on
       the Firmware wiki page.
* AI:  Jim and Chris to discuss user accounts for backup tomorrow.
* AI:  Jim to send mail to Maemo folks finding out what they're doing
       with OOM situations.
* AI:  cjb to check the "Establishing a Wiki Portal" wiki instructions,
       then Jim to release them.

Suspend/resume:
  * SD clock isn't coming back reliably/quickly enough on Linux resume,
    but is okay in OFW.  Probably a Linux problem.
  * AI:  Richard/Mitch to investigate SD resume if they get time.
  * An orthogonal SD problem is that the mmc and block layers exist
    independently from each other, and we can't encode the mmc layer's
    dependency on resume order.  Similar problem for mfgpt/gxfb.
  * Resume time has come down from 223->160ms!
  * Need a status update from Marcelo on USB resume.
  * We need a userspace power manager daemon soon!
  * We need to make a bunch of policy decisions:
    * Need to expose wakeup event sources (lid, power button) to
      userspace.  Lots of people want us to do it in different ways;
      we should have someone working on userspace get involved too.
    * AI:  Get Richard Hughes more involved with power management
           conversations, userspace/policy decisions.
    * We still have a flurry of userspace activity on wakeup as devices
      reappear and are probed by hal/NetworkManager.

LX bringup:
  * Richard, Wad and Mitch are in Taipei, working on pre-B3 boards.
  * OFW POST codes are indicating that it comes up deep in Open Firmware,
    probably all the way up -- memory controller must be working fine.
  * Serial isn't working, Mitch fairly sure he knows why.
  * DCON isn't working, Mitch thinks he might know why.

Build 386 fixes Xorg with C firmware:
  * X wasn't starting with C-series firmware and build385: olpc-bios-sig
    didn't expect to see "C" firmware.
  * It's patched now, in build386.
  * .. but you can't boot C-series firmware on a build < 386.
  * Q2C07 will be released in a few hours.
  * We should put out a new stable build, 386+C07.
  * AI:  Andres to note C-series firmware depends on build386 or higher on
         the Firmware wiki page.

School server progress:
  * Backup -- need to decide how to handle creating accounts/keys on
    school server for backups, then just an rsync shell script away.
  * AI:  Jim and Chris to discuss user accounts for backup tomorrow.

Power measurement infrastructure:
  * cjb waiting on a board instrumented with current-measurement resistors.
  * The resistors have been upped in size on B3; we'll wait for a B3 board.
  * Richard needs to think about how to handle PSU noise.

OOM catching:
  * AI:  Jim to send mail to Maemo folks finding out what they're doing
         with OOM situations.

Mesh portals:
  * http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Establishing_a_Mesh_Portal describes how
    to get a B2 acting as a mesh portal.
  * Used successfully by Michailis at Porto Alegre.
  * AI:  cjb to check the "Establishing a Wiki Portal" wiki instructions,
         then Jim to release them.

====

Previous action items:
  * AI:  Dan - make a wiki page describing manual/fallback wireless
         configuration procedure.
  -- Done, as above.

  * AI:  Wad - wiki-link the doc for the libertas driver ioctl
  -- Done.

  * AI:  wmb - study what is necessary to bring back touchpad after resume
  -- Not done yet.

  * AI: dcbw and marcopg to investigate mesh/avahi not working.
  -- Done.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>