Xrender cursor performance / double buffering?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 10:08:39 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 10:05 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 12:21 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > for drag'n'dropping an image between an activity and the sugar frame
> > I thought it would be nice to just set it as cursor. This way, it
> > gets rendered on top of both the activity and the frame.
>
> Cursors can be hardware accelerated up to a point.  See section 6.5.1.3
> of the AMD Geode GX2 data book.

I hit Ctl+Enter too soon...

http://www.amd.com/us-en/ConnectivitySolutions/ProductInformation/0,,50_2330_9863_9864%5E9867,00.html

"The GUI supports a 64x64x2-bit hardware cursor overlay."

Beyond 64x64, you're not going to get hardware acceleration at all, and
it will be X11 drawing the cursor.  That's gonna be just as slow as
anything else you draw from an app.

> > Ideas appreciated - or will the LX make this work magically? This is
> > a B2.

The LX data book says that the LX has the same hardware cursor size as
the GX, 64x64.  So I don't think it will help here.

Dan