Post-August developer-education hardware availability?

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 03:44:41 EDT 2007

If you promise that your students will work really hard on some vital
project for OLPC, and you really, really need a test bed, you can
probably get a few units at no cost. If you sign up on the demo page
on the OLPC Wiki, http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Demonstrations, I am sure
that somebody will be willing to come by your school with an XO or two
at least once a semester. I will do it in Silicon Valley and elsewhere
in the SF Bay Area, and there are others with laptops waiting for you
to call on them.

But your students don't need to work directoly on the OLPC hardware
unless you are doing hardware design or writing/testing drivers. If
you want to do Smalltalk or Python programming, or create some hot new
educational app (I can make several suggestions, and so can a lot of
other people), you can do it on any Linux system (although Red Hat
derivatives are currently easier to support than Debian derivatives),
and on many other platforms besides. The dev Wiki will tell you what
you need to install.

Can I interest you in connecting to a university in Africa or Latin
America or somewhere, so that your students can work with their
students? I can offer you institutions in Ghana, Nigeria, and Ecuador
now, and no doubt many more in the future. I will be setting up a
system for such linkages when I can get an Earth Treasury Web site
properly organized. If anybody would like to assist?