Build 385 quemu emulation on Mac OS X

Julius Lucks lucks at fas.harvard.edu
Sat Apr 7 22:36:20 EDT 2007

Hi All,

This is the first time I have tried XO emulation, and I am having a
bit of trouble.  I have tried to follow the instructions at

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OS_images_for_emulation#QEMU_on_Mac_OS_X

In particular, I downloaded and installed Q.app version 0.8.1.a35
from http://kju-app.org/kju/ .  I then downloaded the XO image

olpc-redhat-stream-development-build-385-20070406_2314-
devel_ext3.img.bz2

from http://olpc.download.redhat.com/olpc/streams/development/LATEST-
STABLE-BUILD/devel_ext3/ .

After unzipping the image, I configured Q.app to use the image
according to the instructions on the wiki page.  However, when
configuring the advanced settings with:

 > Advanced - QEMU Arguments: type "-redir tcp:2222::22" (without
quotes)

as instructed by the wiki, Q.app would not start from the disk image
and instead gave the cryptic warning "Syntax Error" no matter what I
tried.  Removing this line from the advanced arguments, Q.app did
boot up from the disk image, but I did not get a GRUB screen as the
wiki said.  Following the steps listed on http://wiki.laptop.org/go/
Sugar_Instructions, what happened instead of seeing the GRUB loader
was the linux bootup.  After that, it asked me for a login name that
would not except anything but the name 'root' with no password.  I
got a terminal as root then, but I was not able to proceed with
seeing Sugar any further.

My platform details are:
12" Aluminum G4 1.33 GHz
756 MB Memory
OS X version 10.4.8

If anyone has any hints as to what I might be doing wrong, I would be
very appreciative!

Another question I have concerns keyboard layout.  I have my OS X
keyboard in the Dvorak configuration and it looks like this is not
setup by default when emulating XO with quemu.  How do I use a Dvorak
layout with emulation?

Once again, I appreciate your time and help.

Cheers,

Julius

http://openwetware.org/wiki/User:Lucks