[OLPC Brasil] Why call tools "activities"?

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Thu Apr 5 20:37:07 EDT 2007

Heh.  Sometimes, however, different groups of people mean slightly
different things using the same word (in standards committees, in
particular); I wasted 6 months of my life in such an argument....

But people *like* beating dead horses.

And then we can argue about the name "widget", and its etymology in
computing.
                                   - Jim

On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 14:02 -1000, Mitch Bradley wrote:
> It is amazing how much engineering time can be wasted in stupid
> arguments over names.
>
> I have been a part of several standards committees.  For deeply
> technical issues, somebody usually comes up with a compelling reason why
> something has to be a certain way.  For naming issues, everybody's
> opinion is as good as everybody else's, so naming arguments go on
> forever.  And rarely accomplish anything.
>
> Go ahead, waste your time and everybody else's by beating this dead horse.

Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child