[OLPC Brasil] Why call tools "activities"?

Don Hopkins dhopkins at DonHopkins.com
Wed Apr 4 21:45:28 EDT 2007

Well at least "activity" is not as confusing as "desktop", which
millions of teachers understand to mean something quite different than
the traditional Windows/Icons/Menus/Pointer "desktop" gui user
interface. Somehow we have made it this far with such a confusing
misnomer as the "desktop user interface", and I don't think "activity"
is any more confusing than that.

Can you think of a better word than "activity", that has no other
meanings, yet will be universally understood?
Activities are task oriented, instead of being tool or application or
document or window or desktop oriented.
I like the word "activity" better than "task", because it sounds like an
"activity" could be more entertaining and amusing than a "task" which
sounds more like hard work or an unpleasant ordeal (like a "sysiphean
task").

I've always wondered why the old Mac used to separate programs into
different folders called "Applications" and "Utilities". What's the
difference? I always had a hard time figuring out which folder to look
in, or which folder to put new programs into. What's Photoshop? It
certainly has utility, but it's so big and takes so long to start up
that it must be an application! And then there were those pesky "desk
accessories" that had their own place on the apple menu and in the
system folder...

    -Don