Fontconfig lockup (was Re: System software teleconference minutes - 2007-04-03)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Apr 4 03:04:24 EDT 2007

On Apr 4, 2007, at 4:26 , Mitch Bradley wrote:
> * Blocker bugs for trial-1
>
> * Sugar crashes/hangs
>
>   It seems to happen every 15 to 20 reboots.  It can be triggered by
> stopping
>   Sugar, restarting, then mouse-over.  It seems to be a double-free in
> fontconfig.
>   May need Behdad or Keith to look at it.  First try later release -
> 242.  There
>   is a segfault bug that is reported to have been fixed in mmap shared
> fontconfig data.

Maybe we should have a libc person looking at that - the trigger for
the freeze seems to be expat freeing something (called from
fontconfig), but the actual lockup is due to libc trying to get a
backtrace, which involves dlopen() causing another free() which
locks. See backtrace at

http://dev.laptop.org/attachment/ticket/1245/bt.log

- Bert -