Power Mangement Interfaces

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Mon Apr 2 17:31:04 EDT 2007

On Monday 02 April 2007 12:40 pm, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 11:24:21AM -0700, David Brownell wrote:
>
> > I don't follow this at all.  Most of the relevant devices have a PCI
> > device driver, not an ACPI device driver.  Surely you aren't proposing
> > that PCI drivers should incorporate lots of ACPI-specific code (which
> > won't be useful on non-ACPI platforms) before they start to work right?
>
> PCI devices have a handle to their ACPI object in platform_data,

Good to know.  I was under the impression that was still in the
planning stage, not yet the working/reliable stage.  But I do see
some ACPI code doing that; maybe I'll take more of a look.

> so it's
> easy enough to have generic code that interacts with both objects.

Well, not really "generic" if it knows about ACPI.
But at least not device-specific.

> > For a PCI device driver, pci_enable_wake() is all the hook that it should
> > ever need.  If ACPI magic is needed, it should be called from inside that
> > routine.
>
> Yeah, I don't see that being a problem.

Except for not yet working that way! ;)

- Dave