shrinking memory consumptions

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 2 14:12:13 EDT 2007

Jim Gettys wrote:
> Having apps save themselves periodically so they can be transparently
> restarted is I think the right goal.

Agreed, but that's another mechanism that should be completely
orthogonal to the OOM killer.

> Sorry: that's not the way the kernel works; for example, in can come
> packets, and you can't wait on user space to do anything.

Huh? Can you rephrase? There is no way that adding a notification
mechanism orthogonal to the OOM killer can regress the existing
functionality, so you're either thinking about the problem incorrectly
or not understanding what I'm proposing. If it's the latter, I can try
to clarify more.

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D