Rewriting for Linux?

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Mon Apr 2 11:27:42 EDT 2007

I'd agree with Albert on much of what he says, with a few exceptions and
additions.

Whenever possible, we strongly recommend people use the
Cairo/goocanvas/GTK+ stack for their 2D graphics, rather than SDL.  We'd
like our software usable anywhere, and that implies scaling.  The Cairo
community has been making great strides on performance, and we'll be
optimizing the window system code paths that Cairo uses as well, as is
the entire X Window System community now.

Remember that young kids may not be able to read yet, and their parents
may not either in many areas, so discoverable interfaces without lots of
textual dialog boxes are key to graceful entry to computing in the
environments we serve.

Remember ebook mode requires applications to deal with re-layout and
different aspect ratios.  We hope in our next generation to add a touch
screen, so even if your application can't be translated to use the game
pad and buttons in this generation, you need to be prepared for the
next.  Tools like GUI builders that allow load on the fly UI
redefinition make it much easier easier for:
   o people who are really good at UI design to help tune your UI.
   o subsetting interfaces easily for different age kids.
   o dealing with different layout when rotated, if necessary. We did
this to great effect on GPE on the iPAQ; our screen is bigger, so this
will be a bit less of an issue, but rotation really needs to work for
long term use of almost all applications: we have existing stroke
recognition systems in hand, and there are continuous writing systems on
Linux as well, though commercial in nature.
                                         Regards,
                                              - Jim Gettys

                       Best regards,
                                         - Jim