Libertas driver on the OLPC board

Chris Kavanagh librestreamkav at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 28 15:40:53 EDT 2006

Hello,

I'm working on an entirely different platform both hardware and software.
However, it seems that OLPC and myself are both using Marvell based WiFi
radios.  I have been battling with a problem for sometime now and haven't
received a whole lot of support from Marvell.  I noticed on a Libertas group
that the OLPC driver was recieving a status code of 4 on associations - I am
also seeing this with my system.

I've been leaning towards the idea that this might be more then just an
incorrect status code but rather serious issue in the firmware.  In fact if
I dump the entire contents of my association response buffer recieved from
the firmware via the AP, I actually see data from my association request
buffer that was just previously downloaded to the card.  As if one buffer is
being copied over the other in the firmware.

It took me a while to see this because the buffer recieved from the firmware
almost looks good.  For example:

The first 4 ushorts seem to look fine (correct response code, reasonable
size, sequence number and command result), so the driver begins processing
the rest of the data (the association data).  The Cap Info looks reasonable,
the associationID is fine (same as what's "sniffed" in the air) but the
status code is 0x0004.  It wasn't until I started looking at the rest of the
buffer that I noticed my WEP key in place text was now part of my
association response IE elements.  Obviously something that wasn't
transmitted by the AP :)

This concerns me because on the edge of a network with pour signal strength
this seems to happen often as per retry's and occationally the firmware
stops responding to commands altogether.

Has anyone had any luck in tracking down this "StatusCode == 4" issue?

In advance, thank you very much for you help,
Chris