How green is our laptop?

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Thu Sep 28 15:23:17 EDT 2006

We've been very concerned about the "green" of our laptop, as we know
that it may not be recycled properly.  Obviously, a smaller/lighter/more
rugged/longer lived machine has a lot of advantages as well in this area
than a conventional machine.

It is lead free.  The batteries are NiMH, which do not require recycling
as they don't have nasty chemicals in them (Lithium ions should be
recycled, if they don't burst into flames first ;-)).  We've been
careful on materials selection.

The very low power consumption of the machines means way less global
warming due to electricity usage.

I expect we stack up extremely well on this front.  And we've been
worrying about it from the beginning.
                              Regards,
                                      - Jim

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 18:48 +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Greenpeace has been making news lately with their campaign for
> "greener" laptops.
> http://www.greenpeace.org/international/campaigns/toxics/electronics/how-the-companies-line-up
>
> We probably do not want to be slapped by them with a negative
> label, so it might be sensible to publish more on our strategy
> for environmentally responsible manufacturing and deployment.
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Our_technology#Considering_the_millions_to_be_built.2C_will_it_be_recyclable.3F
> is unfortunately very vague. Greenpeace would probably complain
> that there is no published plan for recycling the laptops, but
> since our interest is permanent deployment and we hope none of
> the laptops fail, recycling and take-back should never be needed.
>
> If we manage to get a positive statement by Greenpeace, it would
> probably help getting more media coverage.
>
> Speaking of media coverage, I have noticed that OLPC is hardly
> ever mentioned in German mainstream media. I don't know how well
> we're doing in other countries, but I fear it's not much better.
>

> Regards,
> Carl-Daniel
Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child