How green is our laptop?

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Sep 28 12:48:02 EDT 2006

Hi,

Greenpeace has been making news lately with their campaign for
"greener" laptops.
http://www.greenpeace.org/international/campaigns/toxics/electronics/how-the-companies-line-up

We probably do not want to be slapped by them with a negative
label, so it might be sensible to publish more on our strategy
for environmentally responsible manufacturing and deployment.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Our_technology#Considering_the_millions_to_be_built.2C_will_it_be_recyclable.3F
is unfortunately very vague. Greenpeace would probably complain
that there is no published plan for recycling the laptops, but
since our interest is permanent deployment and we hope none of
the laptops fail, recycling and take-back should never be needed.

If we manage to get a positive statement by Greenpeace, it would
probably help getting more media coverage.

Speaking of media coverage, I have noticed that OLPC is hardly
ever mentioned in German mainstream media. I don't know how well
we're doing in other countries, but I fear it's not much better.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel