Touchpad

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Wed Sep 27 14:31:24 EDT 2006

  Jim,

  Ian brought back the touchpad prototype from Cambridge, and he did
soldering of the board as suggested.  But it doesn't work so far.

  We are on LinuxBIOS and build86 image (and booting from a USB
memory).  We booted the system with the touchpad connected (it doesn't
smoke, so I'd assume soldering is done properly).  X and sugar
interface start up, but when I touch the pad, the mouse cursor
sometimes moves randomly but most of the time it doesn't move.  In the
console, when I touch the pad, I get messages like:

  psmouse.c: PenTablet at isa0060/serio4/input0 lost sync at byte1
  psmouse.c: issuing reconnect request
  psmouse.c: Failed to reset mouse on isa0060/serio1
  psmouse.c: Failed to enable mouse on isa0060/serio1

In the dmesg, there are lines like:

  input: PS/2 Generic Mouse as /class/input/input7
  input: PS/2 Generic Mouse as /class/input/input8

etc.  the last number seems to be incremented.

  In console, I get the messages only when I touched the pad, so the
system is getting some signals from it, but seems to be failing to
receive some bytes and interpret them.

  Do you have any suggestions to try next?

-- Yoshiki