System Software Meeting Minutes, 2006-09-25

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Tue Sep 26 23:27:10 EDT 2006

System SW Meeting Minutes
2006-09-26

Richard, Andres, Tarl (Sun), Jim, Mitch (scribe), Chris Blizzard,
Jordan, Ray,
Victor (Quanta), Marcello, Chris Ball

New action items:

AI: Marcello with do whatever is necessary to Fedora tomorrow
to resolve touchpad problem - pull the new LinuxBIOS fix.

AI: Chris Blizzard - ping Soren about memprof

AI: Chris Blizzard - pull the performance packages into the git tree.

AI: Chris: reassign trac 105 to John.

AI: Jordan to review residual PRS complaints.

AI: Andres, Check the LinuxBIOS installation instructions.

AI: Jim to push VSA bits to git.

AI: Jim: ask Ivan whether infrastructure setup is done

AI: Jim - create an OLPC "please can you fix this for us" list?

AI: Mitch, check with Ivan and Mark about ability to hard reset
reliably after reflashing, add trac entry for Mark.

AI: Mitch Talk with Ivan about a Zen image for a frozen release builder.

Thanks to Jordan for VSA bits

Thanks to Ray for the touchpad fix.

Chris Ball starts with OLPC on Monday.

New meeting procedure - a different moderator will be assigned
each week.

Marcello: state of current bits: build 86 worked for Chris Ball.
Richard confirms that it has both the CAS 2 and CAS 2.5 images in it.
The touchpad kernel patch is in.  Andres says that the touchpad
works with a modified LinuxBIOS.  The touchpad fix is not yet in
LinuxBIOS.  Ref AI 1.

QEMU has been fixed with ne2000 driver.  Upgrading to 2.6.18 .

What do we need for performance analysis?  Chris Ball: systemtap
needs no kernel support.  Marcello added new config options.
We need strace, valgrind (no dependencies), sysprof (needs atk),
ltrace (no dependencies), memprof (needs bonobo, etc, so it loses
unless the dependencies can be reduced).

PRS: Mitch did PRS parser and removed obvious cruft.

106: Richard: done, but reopened pending new bits for touchpad fix.

98: Still working on it

97: Will work on it in Germany

Jim: status in email message

Marcello: QEMU is done but need to setup Xorg config file correctly,
will do it before build 87.

104: done

Rendercheck - no progress

107: closed

Dan's stuff - see status in bugtracker

Dave Zeuthen is going back to the RH desktop team.  We thank him
for transitioning us to the new build system, and other contributions.

John Palmieri (Zeuthen's replacement), owner of dbus upstream, higher
level app person.  We look forward to working with him.

99: reassign to a sugar person (Marco)

27: Compress temp file systems

65: Temp file systems should be in RAM - Marcello wants it.

102: Clean /tmp on reboot, also move sugar log files to /tmp
     - now with Marco, no status update

Let's update our bugs even if the status is "no progress this week"

Ray: is now registered with trac

67: fixed, needs to be closed

113: LinuxBIOS flashing procedure needs additional step
     fixed, need to be closed.

Board failure USB/Marvell - Mitch made no progress this seek.

105: Installing Fedora Core page is out of date.  Chris needs to
fix it or delegate it.

106: Document VSA dependencies.  Jordan is fighting the battle to
get the documents on the restricted web site opened up.  Use the Source,
Luke.

118: GCC optimizations - Blizzard owns.  Jim points out that there is
a machine-specific configuration file that is a good place to put
collections of flags that we find to be useful.  We also should put
information
about good compiler flags on the wiki.

119, 120: FC5 doesn't build kernel or buildrom.  objcopy doesn't like
gap-fill for Richard, but it works for Ron.  Marcello will look into
it some more tomorrow.

Chris has the ability to escalate bugs within RedHat, so use that capability
when we need it.

-Os pessimizes for size on GCC something.

126: 8042 timer.  Dave (Jones?) has been informed. Fix it alongside
the tickless patches?