lzma with TCP/IP and libertas driver... and still some room

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Sun Sep 24 19:02:57 EDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 16:25 -0400, Zephaniah E. Hull wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 07:38:10PM +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> > - Switch from usb-storage to ub and remove SCSI support in the
> >   process (hopefully ~40-60 k compressed)
>
> That kills our ability to boot from multi-card card readers, or did last
> I tried it.
>
> Do we want to try and fix that in ub, or just decide that we don't
> consider this important?

I vote we drop support for that for now.  We can't fit everything into
G1, and we also can't support booting from every USB device under the
sun.  At some point we have to step back, draw line in the sand, and
commit to the bits we _can_ do.  I don't think anyone has the time to
start major fixes to USB drivers right now (if that's what it takes).

I think the wireless bits may, or may not, be more important than being
able to boot from multi-card readers (this needs some debate).  IPv6
_certainly_ is more important than being able to boot from multi-card
readers.  As long as we don't kill booting from (a) USB hard drives and
(b) USB flash sticks, I think we're fine.

Dan