lzma with TCP/IP and libertas driver... and still some room

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sun Sep 24 13:38:10 EDT 2006

Ronald G Minnich wrote:
> Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just built a ROM with TCP/IPv4 support, the libertas driver and
>> the matching firmware using the lzma compression.
>> buildrom sayeth:
>>
>> Bytes left in ROM: 4620
>>
>> What next?
>
> so can you do 802.11 at this point?

Not tested so far because I don't have antennae connected to the
board and there were warnings against turning on the wireless in
that case. Besides that, I think we may have to add a firmware
helper to userspace.

> we can get another 32k when I lzma vsa. We are not out of room.

Nice. However, adding IPv6 to the kernel costs us 60k compressed.

Bytes left in ROM: -53883
ERROR! ERROR! ERROR!
The ELF image /sources/buildrom/deploy/olpc-payload.elf.lzma is too big!

So we're ~22k too big even with vsa.lzma. Add to that the crypto
code and we're probably in the range of ~50k (compressed) too big.

What can we do?
- Remove IPv6 dependency on IPv4 (hopefully ~20-30k compressed)
- Switch from usb-storage to ub and remove SCSI support in the
  process (hopefully ~40-60 k compressed)
- Remove any access control and user management (after all, this
  is the BIOS and we won't flash untrusted code there)...
  HEY! DON'T SHOOT ME! AARGH! ;-)

Regards,
Carl-Danel
--