Performance issues

John Richard Moser nigelenki at comcast.net
Sat Sep 23 02:34:33 EDT 2006

John Richard Moser wrote:
>   * Real physical memory access (hardware going through the memory
>     controller for DMA, or just the CPU going through the memory
>     controller) would shift the addresses over a few bits (i.e. 256K,
>     shift left 18).  In hardware I believe you can set up the gates to
>     always perform the shift, but I'm no EE.  The point is you should be
>     able to do this without performing a calculation.

This is really dumb, why did I say this?

You would have to perform an ADD, not a SHIFT; but you can set up gate
logic that add and not actually do a calculation.  In essence 01011011
would go through, 01100011 would come out, right in line with the memory
address lines (instead of using an ALU on a clock).

Why did I say shift... ugh.  Far too late for me to be thinking.

    new problems waiting out there.
                                                 -- Eric Steven Raymond

    We will enslave their women, eat their children and rape their
    cattle!
                  -- Bosc, Evil alien overlord from the fifth dimension