Touchpad testing.

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Wed Sep 20 15:48:03 EDT 2006

As suggested last night, we (Andres and I) took the older, 5V touch pad
sample (the samples from early August; not the new 3.3 V touch pad we
received in September) and plugged it into a standard PS/2 port on a
conventional desktop.

It behaves exactly as you might expect for normal operation: bursts of
information are at regular 10ms intervals  on the oscilloscope (the
default rate for PS/2 is supposed to be 100hz).

Zephaniah reported that that older touch pad version on an unmodified
(e.g. 5V) OLPC ATest board was also running very slowly, along with a
standard PS/2 mouse.

So unless Zephaniah managed to break the Linux kernel driver in some
unique way, the theory that the EC is somehow slowing the rate down
tremendously seems very likely.

Zephaniah, does your kernel driver work well with a standard mouse on a
conventional system.
                                    Best regards,
                                         - Jim Gettys
--