Gilmore on USB power

Mark J. Foster mfoster at laptop.org
Thu Sep 14 10:07:55 EDT 2006

Hi, Mitch!

Very interesting discussion!  Your email arrived during my meeting today
with Quanta on completely revising our USB power architecture.  To be
brief (I'll go into more detail during the conference call tomorrow
morning), we now completely understand why we've been seeing USB power
issues, and the solution I'm proposing will eliminate the problem, while
also allowing S/W to have much more control over power allocation.

First, we'll add better per-socket power filtering, which we've
discovered was simply broken in the A-Test layout (that's why you would
occasionally see devices that would work in one USB socket, but not in
another socket on the same motherboard).  In addition, we will eliminate
the USB-specific current limiter that's causing a variety of problems.
Therefore, we'll be able to supply up to 7.5W to the USB ports.  The
only H/W limit will be the current limiter on the 5V power supply, which
drives only USB and the internal speaker amplifier.  It'll be up to
software to ensure that we don't exceed total system power consumption
limits, which should be fairly straightforward (I'll explain how in the
call).

I think folks will like this solution!

Cheers!
MarkF