yum image updates?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Sep 14 09:51:01 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 23:25 +1200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> [Report: BIOS Flashed and running successfully off a USB HD with image-81. Yay!]
>
> I am interested in keeping track of the evolution of the userland of
> the Fedora image. Is there a way to peform yum updates from the repo
> from which the images are built?
>
> I want to install a few things on top -- it probably makes sense to
> have a yum-gettable rpm archive with at least the dev tools,
> recompiled for this fedora image. It doesn't have to be glitzy or
> large, but it's definitely a useful thing.

There's an olpc-specific repo here, which the build process pulls from.
These are packages that are either (1) specific to OLPC, or (2) must be
modified from stock fedora, like the kernel.

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/projects/olpc/development/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/

> Or can I just deploy the fat RPMs from a full blown rawhide?

You most certainly can.  If you've got the '-devel' images (which have
the rpm database) you can just 'yum install foobar' and if it's in
Fedora Core or Fedora Extras, it'll be able to be installed.  Be aware
that you only have 512MB of space though, so things will get tight quite
quickly [1].

In the end, the images are pulled from a few repos, namely Fedora Core,
Fedora Extras, and the OLPC repo above.

Dan

[1] If you really want more, find a larger drive and using fdisk, delete
the partition and recreate it with the size you want.  Then after
rebooting, fsck the filesystem , and use resize2fs to grow the partition
as large as you want it to be.