[OLPC-devel] Re: [One Laptop Per Child] #59: Marvell wireless won't run from LinuxBIOS

supat at supat.eu.org supat at supat.eu.org
Wed Sep 6 01:22:12 EDT 2006

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, Ivan KrstiÄ~G wrote:

> supat at supat.eu.org wrote:
>> My current .swf movie eat 2xx MB RAM.
>
> You need to either split that movie up, or declare that you've found a
> bug in Flash. There's no reason *any* computer should support playing a
> Flash file that consumes a quarter gigabyte of RAM.

Because I don't think it was a bug but feature.
At this moment I avoid to produce .swf that eat too much RAM already and
OLPC can play it w/o problem.

>> BUT when students need to learn some thing effectively they must
>> access the web that always contain huge .swf
>
> That's absolute nonsense. All of Wikipedia, for example, contains no
> Flash; it'd be a much more accurate statement to say that "the web
> sometimes contains moderately-sizes Flash". Large Flash files are not
> the norm, nor they should they be, particularly not for educational
> purposes.

For education purpose we need:

1. high quality movie to see the hair clearly
2. consume low banwidth say less than 56 K modem line

And at this moment I see that .swf fit to it.

>> The most 2 famous web in Thailand namely http://pantip.com/ and
>> http://manager.co.th/ always contain 20 MB RAM to eat .swf
>
> That's an order of magnitude less than what you're talking about.

Because its movie is less than 5 seconds and less than 640x480 size.
While my movies is 15 minutes long and 1600x1280 size.

Manager and Puntip is NOT for education purpose but mine web is.

>> BUT who can guarantee that the size will not increase to 338 MB RAM eat
>
> No one can guarantee it -- but if it happens, the OLPC laptops won't
> play it, and that's perfectly acceptable. The onus is with Flash authors
> not to make enormous movies, *not* with OLPC to accommodate these.

I forget to tell you that my 90 Mhz pentium 1 can play 338 MB .swf movie
w/o problem because I use decentralized techniques. BUT unfortunately OLPC
cannot used the same technique because of unknown reason. (I suspect
VGA/wireless problem of OLPC hardware) As you can see, we got a lot off
trouble on Marvell Wireless at this moment.

Those 90 Mhz pentium 1 has only 32 MB RAM and dated back to 1995.
This trouble to my nerve because pentium 90 can do it why not OLPC that
has higher technology cannot do it. :(

regards,
supat