[OLPC-devel] Re: [One Laptop Per Child] #59: Marvell wireless won't run from LinuxBIOS

supat at supat.eu.org supat at supat.eu.org
Wed Sep 6 01:04:26 EDT 2006

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, Jim Gettys wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 20:54 -0800, supat at supat.eu.org wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 4 Sep 2006, Marcos Barbosa wrote:
>>
>>> You are developing Slackware based distro to OLPC machine?
>>
>> Not to be exact. The exactly objective is to make OLPC to provide wide
>> variety of works and not to be a toy as s/o accused it.
>>
>> I already made OLPC to support all kind of works already before the BIOS
>> was changed.
>>
>> The only unsolve problem is to make OLPC to run huge .swf say 338 MB RAM.
>
> Is this the virtual address space of the flash player?
>
> If it is, then it is clearly a bug in the flash player, and should be
> reported to Adobe ASAP (Mike Melanson is the primary developer).  Adobe
> plans to ship Flash 9 for Linux early in 2007.
>
> If it is a flash file that size, then clearly you will need someplace to
> store it: either on a local disk, or potentially accessing it via NFS.

I think it is a feature not a bug.
The advantage to use .swf because it has DVD quality movie with small
size. That means narrow banwidth can play long and high quality movie and
it is the best way to win banwidth problem using powerful pc to play it.

I choose .swf instead of using .mpg because to produce 5 minutes high
quality .mpg movie can eat 200 MB bandwidth but in .swf will eat only 2 MB
banwidth with higher quality movie that student can learn it effectively.

regards,
supat