[OLPC-devel] Re: [One Laptop Per Child] #59: Marvell wireless won't run from LinuxBIOS

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Tue Sep 5 09:59:28 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 19:28 -0800, supat at supat.eu.org wrote:
> Dear James Cameron,
>
> I did used version told by Jim on September 1:
>
> vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2608.olpc1
>
> Also, I verified myself using 2.6.18-rc2
>
> Both can boot via fedora with Marvell wireless support.
>
> But if boot using slackware then Marvell wireless will not go up.
> It will complain firmware did not exist.
>
> It was too fast to conclude that this bug was fixed after you test it only
> on fedora. I insist that it has problem under slackware.
>
> Before this problem exist I see that under both fedora and slackware with
> old BIOS do has problem on detecting Marvell wireless.
>
> But after modprobe and rmmod it can solve the problem.
>
> Now how many modprobe and rmmod cannot detect Marvell wireless under
> slackware but work fine only under fedora only.
>
> Ofcause I use the same kernel and modules on both system.
>
> All modules and kernel under fedora got no problem but none of them can
> made Marvell wireless to work any more under slackware.

I presume you are using the GIT kernel development tree hosted by David
Woodhouse on infradead.org.  If not, and are using a straight kernel.org
kernel, there is no reason you should expect things to work; not all the
drivers have been merged into Linus' tree as yet, though we're working
toward doing that as quickly as we can.

No one here runs slackware; you are on your own if it is a slackware
specific problem.
                                    Best regards,
                                       - Jim Gettys

> supat
>
> On Mon, 4 Sep 2006, James Cameron wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 02:51:51PM -0800, supat at supat.eu.org wrote:
> >> I will wait for new buildrom that cause no problem on Marvell wireless.
> >
> > But this bug was fixed and closed!
> > http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/59
> > As of buildrom version 20060828-1.
> >
> > What LinuxBIOS version did you use??
> >
> >> At this moment, I verify that current LinuxBIOS has problem on SLAKWARE
> >> but no problem on fedora.
> >
> > Why is Slakware a problem?  Development is based on Fedora.  What
> > happens?  Have you logged a bug in trac yet?
> >
> > --
> > James Cameron    mailto:quozl at us.netrek.org     http://quozl.netrek.org/
Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child