[OLPC-devel] Secure BIOS on the OLPC

Mark J. Foster mfoster at laptop.org
Fri Sep 1 13:43:17 EDT 2006

Mark J. Foster wrote:
> Ivan Krstić wrote:
>> When we do a power-off (i.e. init 0), the next start is a cold boot,
>> correct?
> For the sake of discussion, let's say yes (though it isn't actually
> the same at all).
To elaborate on this, the EC remains powered on even after the system
has been "shutdown".  If the EC does have a "permanent" write-protect
(though I didn't see this in a quick scan through the spec), it will
therefore stay write-protected even after an "init 0" and subsequent
power-on.

In other words, we'd have to either remove the battery, possibly hold
down the power-button for four seconds, or come up with some other magic
condition, before the BIOS could be updated.