[OLPC-devel] Secure BIOS on the OLPC

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Fri Sep 1 13:42:37 EDT 2006

Mark J. Foster wrote:
> For the sake of discussion, let's say yes (though it isn't actually the
> same at all).  Even then, the vast majority of the time, folks will
> simply be doing suspend/resume.

Right. Hmm. I'll think about this some more; proposals welcome.

> Can we rely on waiting for folks to manually power-down their machines,
> when the power button is actually just a suspend/resume button?

Maybe, if there was a reasonable lower bound on cold boot frequency,
e.g. every two weeks. But if we get the suspend/resume thing right, it
sounds like that bound won't exist, so waiting on a cold boot is not an
acceptable solution.

> That's why I mention removing the battery, or
> *possibly* holding down the power button for four seconds (this would
> have to be investigated).

This might be an obvious question, but is there a reason we allow
software to reset the EC?

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D