[Fwd: /tmp and /var/log is reaming jffs2]

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Mon Oct 30 15:21:47 EST 2006

Hmmm....

Mitch's mail (attached) brings up an interesting point.

When flash was small, it clearly made sense to defer GC of flash blocks
pretty much as long as possible; it reduced flash wear, and the memory
usage wasn't excessive.

However, it looks like on our system, with much larger flash but
relatively less memory, that we may want to start garbage collecting on
flash to retrieve RAM sooner.

Dave, what do you think?  (and yes, we've raised getting /tmp
and /var/log off of flash to blocker priority, but we could have similar
issues with "normal" applications).
                                  Regards,
                                   - Jim

--