OFW loads Linux from CaFe NAND FLASH / JFFS2

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Tue Oct 24 03:43:22 EDT 2006

I got the CaFe NAND FLASH driver and jffs2 reader integrated into Open
Firmware.

OFW mounted the jffs2 filesystem (the build 91 image, with summary
nodes) and loaded /boot/vmlinuz in just under 6 seconds.

That's using DMA access to the CaFe NAND controller.  Programmed I/O
takes about twice as long.

OFW doesn't have support for writing individual files to jffs2, but it
can copy verbatim filesystem images onto the NAND FLASH..  That's how I
got jffs2 onto the FLASH; I copied the distribution image to an ordinary
file on a USB key (right out of the box, with the factory FAT
filesystem), and told OFW to splat that file onto the NAND FLASH.  The
NAND copy methods knows about the factory bad block list and skip around
the bad ones.

The JFFS2 file system reader code adds approximate 3400 bytes to OFW's
ROM footprint.  It supports node processing  both with and without
summaries, file reading with zlib decompression as necessary, path
processing, symlinks, and directory listing.

The zlib decompressor size is not included in that footprint size,
because it is already present in OFW for other reasons.

The CaFe NAND driver's ROM footprint is 1800 bytes.