[Trac #224] Want IRQ on power/battery status change.

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Oct 23 15:38:32 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 15:26 -0400, Jeff Kinz wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 07:18:29PM -0000, Zarro Boogs per Child wrote:
> > #224: Want IRQ on power/battery status change.
> > ----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
> >  Reporter:  dwmw2     |       Owner:  mfoster
> >      Type:  defect    |      Status:  new
> > Component:  hardware  |    Keywords:
> > ----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
> >  Polling is bad. We have to wake the CPU for it. We should get an interrupt
> >  when AC power is removed or applied, when status bits change in the
> >  battery status, etc. Perhaps even when the percentage charge changes.
> >
> > Ticket URL: <http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/224>
> > One Laptop Per Child <http://laptop.org/>
> >

> Sounds like a job for Dbus?

No, not at the driver level it's not.  I assume David is talking about
the driver needing to poll the hardware for status, which way way below
the level dbus operates.  Where DBus comes into this is with HAL; HAL
would monitor the events from the driver (which come in via interrupt),
and then broadcast a DBus signal that the status has changed for some
particular piece of hardware.

dan