Battery class driver.

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Oct 23 14:50:15 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 11:30 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 07:20:33PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > At git://git.infradead.org/battery-2.6.git there is an initial
> > implementation of a battery class, along with a driver which makes use
> > of it. The patch is below, and also viewable at
> > http://git.infradead.org/?p=battery-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=master;hp=linus
> >
> > I don't like the sysfs interaction much -- is it really necessary for me
> > to provide a separate function for each attribute, rather than a single
> > function which handles them all and is given the individual attribute as
> > an argument? That seems strange and bloated.
>
> It is, but no one has asked for it to be changed to be like the struct
> device attributes are.  In fact, why not just use the struct device
> attributes here instead?  That will be much easier and keep me from
> having to convert your code over to use it in the future :)

Heh, OK. I'll look at that. Thanks.

> > I'm half tempted to ditch the sysfs attributes and just use a single
> > seq_file, in fact.
>
> Ick, no.  You should use the hwmon interface, and standardize on a
> proper battery api just like those developers have standardized on other
> sensor apis that are exported to userspace.

Er, yes. The whole point in this is so we can standardise on a proper
battery API. I'm only really supposed to be adding support for the
battery on the $100 laptop, but I just couldn't bring myself to do yet
another different battery driver without trying to bring in some sanity.

I sincerely hope that those responsible for the various other different
userspace interfaces for PMU, ACPI, etc. are all hanging their heads in
shame at this point :)

--
dwmw2